Our sustainability policy
At Ark, we take our sustainability responsibilities very seriously, and fully appreciate and understand the Triple bottom line philosophy, supporting the theory that a business cannot account for the full cost of doing business over the long-term if focussed only on profit, and ignoring people and the planet. Ark is committed to a range of environmental, social, and financial approaches to help us reduce our negative impact:
Planet – reducing environmental damage to levels that can naturally be absorbed by nature:
- Client (international and national) and supplier (partner) meetings are encouraged to be remote calls in the first instance, and travel occurs only when considered necessary.
- We use the most efficient, practical mode of transport is used for everyone’s journey. Three of our team walk/cycle to the studio. One member attends the studio only once a week, and the remaining four lift-share whenever possible.
- All staff monitor energy usage and waste output. All technology is powered-off outside of office opening hours, and lights are powered-on only when rooms are occupied. New technology is only purchased when considered necessary to deliver our business offer.
- We actively reduce our waste through waste reduction policies and recycle, re-use and repurpose as much as possible.
- Stationary is recycled or second hand where possible. We use paper only from sustainable sources and print documents only as a last resort – choosing to read and create documents digitally at all times.
- We use low-energy appliances wherever available.
- We provide services that can be delivered with no physical goods production or transportation.
- All of our cleaning products are natural/biodegradable.
- All studio materials are purchased in bulk, when possible, to minimise packaging.
People – developing a healthy and fair global and local society:
- Each member of our team contributes to our success – and each person is therefore highly-valued and appreciated. We ensure there is a culture that enables each person to express their individuality comfortably, to benefit their wellness and develop and evolve the ethics, values, diversity, and creativity within our team’s culture.
- As a small creative team, with 75% living locally to the studio, we encourage everyone to be in the studio throughout the week to build and maintain a fun, positive, inclusive, inspiring, and creative culture.
- We employ people who will enrich our culture, and actively seek out opportunities for individuals to develop their passions and interests through the agency’s work and extra-curricular projects.
- We treat suppliers (partners) and clients as extensions of our own team, forging healthy, genuine long-standing relationships and accommodate their needs whenever possible.
- We deal only with ethical organisations who’s values and approach to work are like ours.
- We endeavour to use local suppliers (partners) where possible to reduce our carbon footprint and stimulate the growth of the local community.
- We comply with all equal opportunity laws and regulations.
- We use fair trade products when possible.
- We use the search engine, Ecosia in the first instance.
Prosperity – creating sustainable business models and stable prosperous economies:
- We are building a strong brand that has value within the local community.
- We will keep costs to a minimum by using current communication technology, this in turn also builds time and staff efficiency.
- We will minimise debt and other financial liabilities.
- We invest in systems that enable us to work simply and effectively, limiting administrative tasks and enabling all staff to succeed in their roles and for business to thrive without reliance on any one individual.
- Implementing our social and environmental processes will continue to avoid ethical liabilities.